Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Spring flowers = California Poppies

If you have grown up in Southern California then "Spring Flowers" means a day trip to the 
It has been a tradition in my family for years. 

Today I am inspired to scrap my recent trip to the preserve.


This year the flowers were beautiful but because of the drought they were not quite as plentiful.


It is usually a solid carpet of golden orange.

So I selected my photos and supplies. I then let the creative magic take over.


 I like to have my stuff out. I like to be able to let it just flow. In order to do that I dig first as to not interrupt myself creative energy.

I start by choosing a set of colors, Inspired by the photos this time I have choose a
 Bright Golden Orange, Sky Blue, Lemon Yellow and  Cream.

I ultimately pull more supplies than I need every time. Maybe it is my trademark?

I get to creating. I don't think. I just go.

Covering my Linnie Blooms Canvas with Derwent Inktense pencils.


Then I blend with water and a brush.


I then stamp my words with Cavallini & Co. text stamps and my own writing.
I use StazOn Ink & Pigma Micron pen No. 05. 
Because I know they won't bleed or run if I add more color later.

I adhere the tag with a stack of Prima flowers (paper of course) 
The pretty blue brad is an old Melody Ross piece. 
I punch them all the way through to the very back of my page.

.

My Linnie Blooms canvas butterfly is next up for a make over.



I add Terrific Tape to one side then the paper  of an antique book page from France.


Then I flip it over, add another coat of Terrific Tape, some pieces of thin wire and antennae.
Then attach some more old book page.



I color them with Derwent Inktense pencils. 


Some paper Prima flowers, a Recollections brad for the center.


I like to have some balance in my elements. I made these three flower arrangements for the page. Combined with some silky blue ribbon from my stash.
I like the look if glass beads glued to the center. I think it adds interest, They are from Martha Stewart Collection. My paper is punched with a Creative Memories punch to make the flowers shape. 

I have Gelli Plated some plain paper to match my lay out. It boarders the flowers and a photo.


I then journal in my own writing. What ever comes to me about this page. Like my own little story. I love the poppies and the memories this page has for me.


Stop by and check us out here:

Thanks for visiting us, Please come by again.








9 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous scrapbooking page! Love the bright colors! Poppies are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful.... I enjoyed reading the journey from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! How fun is this?? I love what you did to the butterfly! Great Job!! I agree with Kim the colors are so bright and fun! And yes the Poppies are so so pretty!!! Loves-Scrappin Madge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful!Love the bright colors! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful tradition! So happy you were able to see the poppies this year, Kim! Your page is so colorful and I love how you shared your steps with us. That butterfly is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stunning, fun and bright.. great accents

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have California poppies up north here, and they are indeed so pretty! A whole field of them?! That's awesome. The LO is super too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you ladies for your sweet sentiments. I look forward to getting to know you each.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice page and good explanation of how you did it.

    ReplyDelete