Sunday, December 15, 2013

SnOwFlaKEs

SnOwFlaKEs
by Kelly Hoernig for Linnie Blooms

The snow is finally here and I love it. It creates such a winter wonderland of everything transforming to white and wintery. The air changes, the moonlight makes all sparkle and I can get lost in thoughts dreaming of this special season. So, that is my inspiration for this piece, snowflakes of all sizes and shapes.  I worked with Linnie Blooms shapes such as the long blank, hearts, banners, a pocket and a rectangle. You will need to gather stuff from here and there to add to the charm of this little treasure. There are buttons, a piece of ribbon, a candy cane of wire and a couple pieces of scrap batting. Have fun and make this delightful snowman your own.





I used DecoArt Americana acrylics in Camel, Sea Glass, Terra Coral and Violet Haze to create this exact look. I like to spritz water onto each shape before applying a watery coat of color. It allows the paint to move and gives you a bit of dimension and texture without the work. I pulled out my favorite snowflake stencil to add some flair to the background and the heart. The stencil is applied in the same color, it only appears darker because it is more concentrated. Because I wanted to add depth, I used fabri-tac and another piece of batting glued to the backside of the pocket. It makes it stand up just enough giving you the look of things being filled in it. I then used fabri-tac to glue on all the additional elements.

Can’t wait to see what creative twist you put on this inspiration – hope you will share it when you are finished! Enjoy and Happy Holidays from me to you!!

1 comment: